A Plumbing Permit is required for the installation, repair, or modification of plumbing systems, medical gas systems, natural gas or liquified petroleum gas piping, or the installation or modification of irrigation systems. Permits shall be issued upon compliance by the applicant with all state and local requirements and standards.
In the case of properties within one of Huntington's incorporated villages (Asharoken, Huntington Bay, Lloyd Harbor, and Northport), the permit function is handled by your village building officials.
Permits are typically processed within 7-10 business days.
Please refer to Suffolk County Department of Health for water services and sanitary systems. The Town of Huntington does not issue these permits. If you are directly replacing a fixture and have not moved any plumbing (water/waste or gas lines) you do not need to obtain a Plumbing Permit.
In the event that you begin working with a new plumber in the midst of your project, you must file for a new permit with necessary paperwork and appropriate fees.
Plumbing Permits are valid for three (3) years.
- If the work is not completed within the first year, then a renewal fee is owed. The renewal fee is half of the original permit fee.
- If the work is not completed the second year, then the other half of the fee is owed.
- After the third year, the permit expires and will have to be replaced.
If you are not sure if you need a permit, call (631) 351-3144.
Code of the Town of Huntington - Plumbing Regulations
Examples of Acceptable Plumbing Plan Sketches
The following items must be submitted to file for a Plumbing Permit:
- One (1) copy of Plumbing Permit Application (87-13) filled out in its entirety, signed by the property owner and notarized.
- One (1) copy of a Riser Diagram showing the water waste lines and/or gas lines.
- Application fee. All checks to be made payable to "Town of Huntington". Blank checks will not be accepted.
Homeowner Filing Application for Plumbing Permit for New Work
A resident can take out a Plumbing Permit for their home (for water waste lines) as long as they are performing the work themselves and reside in the home. A resident is NOT ALLOWED to perform any gas work on their home. A plumber who is licensed with the Town of Huntington has to be on the application and performing all gas work.
A plumber does not need to be on the application if you are legalizing an existing water waste line fixture.
Homeowner Legalizing Existing Fixtures
A Plumbing Permit Application (87-13) must be submitted, filled out in its entirety, signed and notarized, as well as Homeowner's Certification. The Homeowner's Certification is a requirement due to the fact that the Inspector cannot see any piping that is located behind closed walls. Appropriate fees must be submitted with application. All checks are to be made out to "Town of Huntington".
Plumbing inspections are performed by the Town of Huntington. The plumber, homeowner, or contractor can schedule most inspections. If a pressure test is a required inspection, an inspection must be scheduled by your licensed plumber.
Once all inspections are completed and you are given an inspection slip that notes final approval, a Completion Certificate will be created and sent out to the permit holder. The permit is mailed to the plumber, who is the license holder; if there is no plumber, it is mailed to the homeowner.
Generators must be five feet (5') from the property line, five feet (5') from any open windows, doorways, or combustibles, and the Town of Huntington recommends five feet (5') from the home, but please follow your manufacturer's specifications.
Requirements for Master/Limited Plumber License
Applicants shall be a minimum of 21 years of age and have at least seven (7) years of work experience in the installation, repair, and/or maintenance of plumbing systems or equipment, and have worked under a master plumber; or have completed a plumbing union apprenticeship program, or an approved course of study at a certified technical school, or any combination thereof.
Once approved by the Plumbing Advisory Board, the applicant will be contacted to sit for a written examination where the minimum passing score is 70%. Applicants that fail the exam may reschedule a second exam at no additional cost. Failure to obtain a passing grade on the second exam shall require an applicant to remit the requisite dee before the exam may be retaken.
Once the applicant has passed the written examination, they must successfully complete a practical examination and demonstrate sufficient knowledge and technical ability to perform and supervise the installation, alteration, modification, or repair of plumbing and heating systems.
After the practical has been passed, the applicant will be required to go to the Plumbing Office to pay a license fee of $150 prior to the issuance of a Master/Limited Plumber License.
The following items must be submitted to file for a Master or Limited Plumbers License:
- One (1) copy of Master Plumber License Application Form (87-11) signed and notarized OR Limited Plumber License Application Form (87-12).
- Seven (7) years worth of W-2 forms.
- Application fee of $95.
Reciprocal Agreement for Master Plumber License Filing Instructions
- One (1) copy of Master Plumber License Application Form (87-11) signed and notarized (only the first page needs to be completed).
- Letter of Good Standing issued by licensing municipality.
- Copy of the town's plumbing license.
- Copy of Certificate of Competency
- Updated Liability, Worker's Compensation, and Disability forms.
- Copy of driver's license.
Applications will be reviewed by the Town of Huntington Plumbing Advisory Board. Once approved, you will be contacted to come to the Plumbing Office to pay an additional $150 fee and have your ID photo taken.
Applications and Payments related to Permits can be submitted:
- BY MAIL:
100 Main Street
Huntington, NY 11743
ATTN: Plumbing Department
- They can be dropped off in-person at the Building & Housing Department in Town Hall (Room 112).
- Applications can also be dropped to the white mailbox outside of the entrance to Town Hall. Make sure to including "ATTN: Plumbing Department" on envelope.
Note: It shall be unlawful for any person to install, repair, or modify any plumbing or heating system or fixture without benefit of a valid master or limited plumbing license issued by the Director of Engineering Services. With the exception of gas piping, an owner of a one and two family dwelling may conduct plumbing alteration, repair, maintenance or installation activities within said premises without benefit of a license as long as the work is performed by the owner and not by the owner's contractor or other person.
A copy of the Plumbing Permit must be kept on site when the work is being performed.
No work is authorized to start until the Plumbing Permit has been issued.