Student Prizes Include Lenovo Tablets, Barnes & Noble Gift Certificates; $500 Gift Certificates for Winning Schools
Huntington – Supervisor Ed Smyth, the Town of Huntington and Covanta Huntington are partnering to kick off a recycling-themed poster contest for local students in April, Earth Month.
Supervisor Ed Smyth stated, “The Town of Huntington is putting a renewed focus on the benefits of recycling to help reduce the amount of waste we produce. This at-home activity will provide students with the chance to reflect on the importance of protecting our planet while flexing their creative muscles.”
Maureen Early, Community Relations at Covanta said, “We are proud to support the next generation of STEM leaders with fun projects like this one where students can learn the importance of reduce, reuse and recycle. This also includes educating students about the fourth R – recovery. At Covanta, we recover energy from the waste that cannot be recycled to power homes and businesses right here on Long Island. We wish the best of luck to all of the students entering the contest!”
Contest details and rules:
- Judging will be in two age categories: Grades 1-4 and 5-8.
- SCHOOL PRIZES:
- $500.00 Gift Certificates to each of the two schools with the first-place winners.
- STUDENT PRIZES:
- 1st place - Lenovo Tablets to the 1st place winners from each age category.
- 2nd place - $75.00 Barnes & Noble Gift Certificates to the 2nd place winners from each age category.
- 3rd place - $50.00 Barnes & Noble Gift Certificates to the 3rd place winners from each age category.
- All entrants must be currently enrolled in elementary school grades 1-8.
- Size: Minimum poster size 8 ½” x 11”
- Orientation: Landscape only
- Materials: markers, crayons, pastels, paints.
- Each entry must depict a recycling theme such as composting, electronics recycling, waste to energy conversion, etc.
- Artwork must be students’ own work.
- Pictures of the entries must be received via email: email@example.com by Monday, May 16th. Subject line: POSTER CONTEST
- Principals will be notified by email if there are winners from their school.
- Please make certain to include child’s name, grade school, teacher’s name, and teacher’s email on the back of the poster. No information should be on the front of the poster.
Winners will be honored by the Town of Huntington and Covanta Huntington at the June 14 Town Board meeting at 7:00 PM.