The evening Town Board Meeting on Thursday, May 17th at 7:00 PM will take place at Elwood Middle School, located at 478 Elwood Road in Elwood, a venue with more than double the legal occupancy available at Huntington Town Hall.
On April 10, 2018, the Town Board voted to move this Town Board Meeting to Elwood Middle School, a larger venue in the heart of the Elwood community, to accommodate high interest in the Villadom public hearing and making it easier for residents neighboring the proposed development to attend.
Please be advised:
· The Official Town Board Meeting Agenda will be conducted prior to the Villadom Public Hearing portion. The Villadom project is not on the May 17 Official Town Board Meeting Agenda, a vote may only be conducted within 90 days after the public hearing.
· The Elwood School District will not permit public access to school grounds prior to 6:00 PM due to ongoing Middle School activities. Town of Huntington Public Safety Officers will coordinate on site with Suffolk County Police to maintain a safe and orderly environment for the event as per the Elwood School District’s request.
· Access to Elwood Middle School will be permitted via the Elwood Road entrance only. Kenneth Drive entrances to Elwood Middle School will be closed as a security precaution.
· The public is encouraged to carpool due to parking limitations at both Elwood Middle School and Elwood John Glenn High School. Normal after-school activities will be ongoing at the High School ending at approximately 9:00 PM.
· As a large number of speakers are anticipated at the public hearing, people wishing to speak must sign in with Security upon entering the Middle School. A number will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. There is no pre-registration to speak. Please note: Public Hearing 1 (Villadom) will be the first public hearing, followed by the Public Portion, as usual, so the first person speaking in the Public Portion will speak after the end of the Villadom Public Hearing (Public Hearing 1).
· The maximum time allotted for every speaker will be determined at an early point in the meeting based on the number of participants wishing to speak. The applicant (Villadom) will open Public Hearing 1, as is standard format, followed by the public.
· Reserved handicap seating will be located in the front rows of the left and right sides of the auditorium, individuals requiring handicap access (including speakers requiring handicap access) may stay seated in that section.
· Speakers will be called up to assemble in groups of five (speakers numbers 1-5, 6-10, 11-15, etc.) in the far left and far right aisles, where there will be reserved seating for each group of five speakers in the aisle seat of the first five rows. Once finished speaking, speakers will return to other seats in the auditorium, opening up the reserved seats for the next five speakers.
· If the auditorium is filled to maximum occupancy, audio from the meeting will be broadcast to people assembled outside the building.
Villadom is the proposed development on the northeast corner of Jericho Tpke. and Manor Rd. This is the specific content of the scheduled public hearing:
To consider comments on the Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS), to consider an amendment to the Horizons 2020 Comprehensive Plan, and to consider adopting Local Law Introductory Number 17-2018, considering zone change application #2013-ZM-397, Syndicated Ventures, to change the zoning from R-40 Residence District and C-6 General Business District to C-5 Planned Shopping Center District for the property located on the northeast corner of Jericho Turnpike and Manor Road, Elwood, SCTM#0400-209-02-(003,004.001, 005.006).
Attend in person or watch the broadcast after* the meeting on the Town's website and on government access channels Optimum 18 or FIOS 38.
*Due to technical limitations on location and away from Town Hall, live streaming will not be available for this meeting. The May 17th Town Board Meeting will be broadcast on Optimum 18 and FIOS 38 as well as the Town's website within 24 hours of the meeting’s completion, and possibly sooner.
In the attachment: Layout of Elwood Middle School Auditorium for Huntington Town Board Meeting Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 7:00 PM.