Boating Links

Mooring Permits for Town Waters

Mooring Permit Application (PDF)

 Town Residents: You have “mooring rights” in Town waters. To exercise that right, boaters must provide proof of residency and obtain a Mooring Permit from the Harbormaster, 53 North New York Avenue, Halesite, NY 11743. Phone: (631) 351-3255. The Office is open weekdays (8:30 am - 4:30 pm) for Mooring Permit assistance.  

Residency: Proof of residency means a valid New York State Driver’s License, current Boat Registration, and an additional proof of residency such as utility bill, voter registration card, vehicle registration, etc.  In addition to in-person applications, the Harbormaster will accept applications by mail with photocopies of the requisite proofs or by e-mail with PDF scans of the requisite proofs. (Other than the signed application, do not mail original documents to the Harbormaster’s Office.)

Mooring Decals: Upon acceptance, you will be issued a numbered decal to be affixed to the transom of your boat. A second matching sticker with mooring number must be placed on your mooring ball. 

Mooring Placement: A mooring can be placed anywhere in town waters. However, no mooring may be placed within the lines of a channel or within 50’ of a channel marker. Nor may a mooring interfere with any boat or mooring placed prior to yours. If you are unsure where to place the mooring or need additional guidance with respect to your mooring rights, please contact the Harbormaster’s Office.

Incorporated Villages: New York State Law gives incorporated villages the right to regulate activities on surface waters within 1,500 feet of the village shoreline. Huntington has four incorporated villages: Asharoken, Northport, Huntington Bay, and Lloyd Harbor. If you plan to moor a boat within 1,500 feet of one of these village shorelines, please check with the Village Clerk to determine the Village’s mooring policies. In cases where the Village issues its own mooring permit, the Town honors the Village permit and no further Town permit is required.

Fees: Mooring Permits for Town of Huntington residents are $40. Please note that your boat must be registered at your Huntington address to be pay resident permit fee. Non-residents may obtain and those with out of area boat registrations may obtain a Mooring Permit for an annual fee of $200.