Planning, Building, & Zoning

Planning, Building, Zoning Links
Contact Print

Retaining Wall Permits


A Building Permit is required for the construction, alteration, moving, repair, and modification, demolition, in whole or in part or the change of use of any building or structure. 

In the case of properties within one of Huntington's incorporated villages (Asharoken, Huntington Bay, Lloyd Harbor and Northport) the permit function is handled by your village building officials.

Filing Instructions. The following items must be submitted to file for a retaining wall building permit:

1. Two (2) completed Building Permit Application (87-01). Application forms should be filled out in their entirety and must be signed by the property owner and notarized. 
2. One (1) copy of a recent complete survey by a licensed surveyor. 
3. Completed Retaining wall questionnaire Retaining Wall Question (87-08), including: 
4. Three (3) copies of a site plan which shall indicate the following:
a. Existing & proposed regrading contours on Topo Site Plan. Contour Lines (2' gradient intervals) Swales directing storm water runoff, gradient contour/angle of response where applicable.
b. Wall location – top & bottom of walls @ 50 ft. intervals
5. Three (3) sets of detailed architectural and structural construction plans (construction documents), that indicate compliance with the New York State Building Code. The seal and signature of a registered architect or a professional engineer is required on all plans which are to include: 
a. Construction detail of wall design with all required structure elements shown. 
6. One (1) copy of a recent tax bill, showing Section, Block, Lot, and Current Homeowner.
7. Retaining walls are subject to the provisions of the steep slope ordinance specifically §198-64(A) as per Huntington Town Code. 
8. Certificate of Worker’s Compensation (use form C-105.2 or U-26.3 as applicable). 
9. Copy of Suffolk County Home Improvement License Photo ID.