Planning, Building, & Zoning

Planning, Building, Zoning Links
Contact Print

Swimming Pools 

Please be aware that a Building Permit is required for the construction, alteration, moving, repair, and use of any building or structure within the unincorporated areas of the Town of Huntington, including a Swimming Pool. In the case of properties within one of Huntington's incorporated villages (Asharoken, Huntington Bay, Lloyd Harbor and Northport) the permit function is handled by your village building officials.

Filing Instructions. All Swimming Pool applications shall include the following information:

1. Two (2) completed Outdoor Water Pool Permit Application (87-02) forms .  They must be filled out in their entirety and must be signed by the property owner and notarized. 
2. Two (2) copies of a recent complete survey.
3. Two (2) copies of the subject plot plan indicating the required fence enclosure height and location, pool size, shape, location and all remaining dimensions (setbacks) from the pool to the property lines.
4. Two sets of the pool plans that indicate size, depth and type of construction.
5. Two (2) Swimming Pool Affidavit (87-03) signed & notarized by the owner of the property.
6. A Certificate of Workers Compensation (Use form C-105.2 or U-26.3 as applicable).
7. Copy of Suffolk County Home Improvement License Photo ID.
8. One (1) Copy of a recent tax bill showing section, block and lot.
9. Photos from street to pool location to show grade of property.

Requirements for Swimming Pools:

1. Pool may be located in the rear yard or side yard in accordance with setbacks. (Note: Corner properties must have pool located in rear yard only).
2. Five (5) foot setback or more is required to the property line.
3. Pool equipment is also required to maintain at least a five (5) foot setback to the property line.
4. A fence enclosure with access gates, etc. is also required under the provisions of the New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code (Appendix G).

Electrical: All electrical work must comply with Article 680 of the National Electric Code, and an Electrical Inspection Certificate must be submitted prior to the issuance of a Certificate of Completion.
PlumbingA vacuum breaker is required, which may be installed by the property owner.