Knowledge Base

Requirements for Shed Permit

The Town of Huntington allows property owners to have one (1) shed with a gross floor area of 100 square feet or less that is placed at least two feet (2') away from the property line without a building permit.

A second shed of any size, and all sheds greater than 100 square feet, require a building permitSheds greater than 144 square feet in size must be set back at least five feet (5') from the property line. Sheds up to 120 square feet does not require footings.

Sheds that are 144 square feet and greater need to be constructed in accordance with the New York State Residential Building Code, with reference to wind resistance, and exterior wall location. They need to be located a minimum of five feet (5') from the property line, and ten feet (10') from other exterior walls in accordance with section R302.1 RCNYS (unless constructed with fire-resistance rated materials with a one hour rating), and building permit submittals include but are not limited to a plan showing foot details, structural connection detail, and clips, and ties for rafters, connections. 

Filing Instructions - the following forms must be filed in accord with the criteria above:

  1. Two (2) completed Building Permit Application forms shall be filled out in their entirety and shall be signed by the property owner and notarized. 
  2. Four (4) copies of a recent complete (unaltered) survey by a licensed land surveyor, showing the plot and all the existing buildings and structures.
  3. Four (4) plot plans indicating the location of the shed, with required setbacks.
  4. Four (4) sets of construction drawings, prepared in a standard architectural manner to scale of not less than one-quarter inch per foot (1/4" / 1'). If the shed is prefabricated, copies of construction specifications may be accepted in lieu of drawings.
  5. Certificate of Worker's Compensation (C-105.2 or U-26.3) form. 
  6. Copy of Suffolk County Home Improvement License Photo ID.


Note: No accessory structure, including a shed, can be located within the required or existing setbacks for the front yard and long street side yard, whichever is greater.


Applications and Payments related to Permits and CO’s can be sent via express or regular mail to:

Town Hall
100 Main Street
Huntington, NY 11743
ATTN: Building & Housing Room 115

- OR -

They can be dropped off in-person at the Building & Housing Department in Town Hall (Room 115).

Payment of Fees can be made in-person or over the phone by credit card.


Updated 8/9/2022 10:34 AM